Abbott Design Ltd -
Brad Abbott graduated in 1977 with a Bachelor of Environmental Studies (B.E.S.) from the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Manitoba. He was awarded the University Gold Medal for highest standing.
He earned a Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) at Carleton University in 1979. That same year the Ontario Association of Architects awarded Brad the Ontario Architects Award as the most deserving graduate from all of Ontario’s architecture schools.
Brad’s early career was spent apprenticing in leading architectural firms in London (England), Calgary, and then Toronto.
In 1993 Brad founded W.B. Abbott Design Ltd. in order to focus on his passion for designing quality single family homes.
Today Abbott Design is a known and respected name in the established residential neighbourhoods of Toronto.
The firm’s workload at any given time is almost equally split between city and country homes.
Although we have completed projects throughout southern Ontario’s ski and cottage country, a particular focus of our work outside Toronto is in the Southern Georgian Bay communities of Town of the Blue Mountains, Thornbury, Collingwood and Creemore.
There is no single Abbott Design style. Rather, Brad begins by assessing the merits and limitations of his clients’ site and develops a unique concept for each one. At the same time he listens carefully to the owner’s stylistic preferences and responds to their individual tastes. This diversity in his architecture is reflected in his portfolio of completed work.
The firm’s work is also equally split between new construction and larger scale renovations and additions. We have a reputation for doing “seamless renovations” by carefully knitting new construction with original and restored architecture. Toronto’s core neighbourhoods have a legacy of fine traditional styles that deserve a respectful and sensitive approach when making improvements. In the country we apply the same reverence when we go to renovate a century Ontario farmhouse, a log ski chalet, or an old Muskoka cottage.
- site planning review ( Municipal by-laws researched)
- client programme of requirements/budget/timeline
- measured drawings of existing building(s) when doing a renovation/addition
- concept design
- “broad brush” budgeting
- Site Plan Approval, Committee of Adjustment, and/or OMB preparation and representation when necessary
- detailed design & specifications
- co-ordination of structural, electrical, HVAC (heating/cooling), landscape, interior and other consultants
- working drawing production
- “detailed” budgeting
- Application for and monitoring of Building Permit Application
-other applications to Authorities Having Jurisdiction (i.e. NEC, Health Authorities, Conservation Authorities, Ravine Control, Forestry Department etc.)
- tendering construction to General Contractor or selection of a Project Manager.
- periodic construction review through to completion & occupancy.
- all floor plans produced show furniture arrangements to scale from early conceptual sketches.
- lighting plans
- ceiling details (coffers, decorative beams, medallions, etc.)
- trim details, interior door schedules, floor finishes schedule.
- kitchen design
- detailed millwork design as required for entertainment walls, libraries, wainscoting and wall paneling, mudrooms, closets & dressing rooms.
- appliances and fitting and fixture specifications.
- interior decorating services- paint colours, wall & floor coverings, drapery, furniture, accessories specified as required.
-conceptual drawings showing exterior elements such as decks, stone terraces & retaining walls, walkways & driveways, arbors & trellis’, pools & water features, and accessory buildings.
-we consider outdoor “rooms” to be an extension of interior spaces and they must be considered as an integral part of the design of the home.